Base Gagetown Community History Association Newsletter

Issue 3 June 1999

POBox 3351, Stat B, Fredericton NB E3A 5H1

1999 ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

The annual membership meeting of our Association will be held at the Cenotaph site in New Jerusalem on Sunday, July 4 at 2PM, with a rain date of the following Saturday, July 10. Bring your lawn chairs and a picnic lunch. There will be access to the Base through the Petersville and Blue Mountain gates. Those who are not familiar with the area roads should wait at these points and follow someone who has knowledge of the route to Jerusalem as it is an easy place to get lost.

SUSSEX JAMBOREE A SUCCESS

The first country music jamboree we sponsored in the Sussex High School Auditorium on May 15 was a success from all reports with over 300 attending and netted nearly $2000 for our Association. A thank you to all the participants and especially Connie Denby and Winston Armstrong who organized the program.

A video is available of the show from Debbie MacDonald at a cost of $20. plus $5 mailing charge. She may be reached at 506 433-3972 and her mailing address is 175 MacDonald Rd, Hammondvale NB E4E 3S6.

PROGRESS REPORT

Since our formal organizational meeting last year in Welsford, the executive have been meeting on a bi-monthly basis with 20 to 40 present at each meeting. The November meeting was held in conjunction with a workshop at the Provincial Archives in Fredericton. The Association incorporation documents have been completed and a decision on the anniversary date in 2003 will be made at our fall meetings this year.

We have committees active in a number of our former communities and work will have to begin in earnest this fall contacting families for their genealogies and compiling the history of the area communities. What we accomplish in the next two years will determine our publication material.

Work is progressing on transcribing the New Jerusalem Methodist (United) and St. Peters (Headline) Anglican Church Records. We need volunteers with computer skills to organize family, community, church and school data for future publication. The Association has purchased The Master Genealogist software program to be used by our members to input their family data who have access to a computer. This program requires a 486 with Windows and 16 MB of memory recommended.

For additional information see http://www.whollygenes.com or contact me at davmc@nbnet.nb.ca and 506 357-5444.

We are looking for an editor for our newsletters and also family and community historical items of interest prior to 1953 for future publication.

FROM THE PAST

From the Weekly Telegraph, St. John, NB. August 31,1898 and reprinted in the April 1998 issue of The Queens County Heritage.

Death of John Pender (Father of James Pender of the Nail Factory Story.)

"The death occurred Thursday at his residence, Main street, of Mr. John Pender, well and favorably known to a large number in the city, and throughout the province. Mr. Pender was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1809, and came to this country with his father, the late James Pender, in 1820. After a short residence in St. John, where he did business, James Pender secured a grant of land in Petersville, Queens county, and moved there with his family. The Pender family were counted among the most industrious in the neighborhood. In addition to the work on the farm they built wagons and sleds, and the late John Pender when a young man, erected the most extensive grist mill in that section of the country. The original mill was destroyed by fire, but on its site was constructed another and a better mill, to which was added a carding machine, which was also burned a few years ago. In 1845 he married Jane, daughter of the late William Christie of Kings county, and sister of Drs. James and William, and Alexander Christie of this city. She died three years ago. Ten years ago Mr. Pender retired from business and disposed of his property in Petersville and came to St. John to reside. He was well informed on the early history of the province, and his descriptions of pioneer life in New Brunswick were always interesting.

Quite a large family survive him. His eldest son is James Pender of the James Pender Nail Company. Two sons, John and William. and two daughters, Annie and Sarah reside in Melbourne, Australia. William is now on a visit to New Brunswick. Miss Pender, with whom he lived, also survives. One son and one daughter died before him. Mrs. A.G. Bowes of this city, Mrs. Hugh Miller and Mrs. John Young, both of Glassville, Carleton county are sisters."

   ___________________________________

The following item was taken from the Victoria Australia Museum

Internet Web Page

FOUR-WHEELED MOTOR BUGGY MADE BY MAX HERTEL OF CHICAGO, U.SA. IN 1896, TO THE ORDER OF MELBORNE

BUSINESSMAN MR JOHN PENDER.  THE VEHICLE ARRIVED IN MELBORNE BY STEAMER ON 8 NOVEMBER 1897 AND IS

GENERALLY REGARDED TO BE THE FIRST MOTOR CAR IMPORTED INTO AUSTRALIA. MR PENDER TOOK THE VEHICLE FOR ITS FIRST TRIAL RUN FROM BRUNSWICK TO THE COBURG TRAM TERMINAS ON SATURDAY 13 NOVEMBER 1897. THE VEHICLE IS POWERED BY A

TWIN-CYLINDER 3 1/2 HORSEPOWER (2.6 kW) INTERNALCOMBUSTION ENGINE THAT RAN ON STOVE NAPHTHA. JOHN PENDER WAS A WELL KNOWN MELBORNE MANUFACTURER OF HORSESHOES AND HORSE- SHOE NAILS.

 

Note On the original land grant map of Dunns Corner (Headline)

James Pender is registered as the owner of lots 6 & 7, later owned by John McKinney. The Pender Mill was owned by Lee Adamson at the time of the expropriation in 1953.

___________________________________

MEMBERSHIPS

There are presently about 180 on our mailing list. Fifty four have purchased or renewed their 1999 memberships. There are 49 who have not renewed from last year.

A form is attached for those who have not purchased or renewed for this year. Our main source of revenue is from memberships and we appreciate the following who have life memberships;

Verna Arnold, Douglas Corbett, Robert Corbett, Milton Kerr, Machum McKinney, Russell McKinney, Walter McKinney, Marion Mersereau, Clifton Murphy, Marion Patterson, Stirling Nickerson, Ann Sadler, Andy Scott, Geraldine Hamilton Senchyna and Robert Sutton.

Any former landowners or their spouses are considered Honorary Members and the following are presently on our list;

Austin Armstrong, Mr & Mrs. Bill Clarke, Mr & Mrs. Ross Howe, Mrs. Elsie Inch, Mr & Mrs. Fred Kennedy, Roland McKinney, Mrs. Harry Mitchell, Mrs. Kathryn Mullin, Patrick Murray, Mrs. Mildred Queen, Mrs. William Russell, Mrs. Audrey Smith and Mrs. Helen Sutton. Please submit additional names with their complete mailing address.

New Brunswick Genealogical Society

presents its Anniversary Conference

New Brunswick Ancestors - Arrivals and Departures

July 30 to Aug 2 1999

at the

Atlantic Baptist University

333 Gorge Road

Moncton, New Brunswick Canada

The New Brunswick Genealogical Society extends an invitation for you to attend their exciting 20th anniversary conference. Genealogists and family historians from various parts of Canada and the United States will gather to hear over a dozen speakers share their knowledge on a wide range of topics. The Society will be flying in speakers from Ireland and Scotland. The program will also include "Ask the experts" panels, a genealogical marketplace, research rooms, opportunities for private consultation, and a computer laboratory. Representatives from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick will be at the conference with archival material.

For additional information contact;

NB - Ancestors

POBox 7102, Riverview NB

E1B 4T8