*** Contributed by Milton & Sarah Kerr
Kerr Family
The farms south of the Summer Hill Brook, including the Kerr Property, although being in the Dunns Corner School District, were part of Summer Hill, probably due to the fact that the Summer Hill Post Office was in the Kerr residence.

The Kerrs, Although having a Scottish name, were of Irish decent. The property known as lot # 29 was granted to John Kerr. Joseph Kerr, born in 1821, apparently was his son and is the first we have records of the original house was built some distance from the present road, near where there is a cemetery containing such names as Brown, Donald, Galey, Kerr, Mallory, Thumith.

Joseph Kerr married Susan Galey, and they had eleven children. Four died in childhood. The others were Margaret- who married James Russell. John Stirling-moved to USA. Andrew - married Alice Dunn and later Edith Whalen. James -married Annie Cooper. William-never married. Isabella-married John W Woods. Adam -married Jane Cooper, a sister of Annie.

A new house and barns was built nearer to the Gagetown Road and in 1900, Joseph and Susan divided the property between James and Adam. The line going directly through the middle of the house and both families had equal use of the out-buildings.

Adam and Jane soon moved to Western Canada, where he died at an early age. His widow and young son, Chesley, returned to Summer Hill and later moved to Saint John.

Eventually, James bought their share of the property. William made his home with James, he taught school and started a general store, but not being a too forceful bill collector, soon had to close the store. William, being a pretty good cook, often
cooked in lumber camps.

James and Annie had two children, Hazel, who married Harry Dunn and lived at Hampstead and Milton, who married Sarah Warrell, a school teacher from Fredericton.

James was a strong supporter of the Summer Hill United Church and the Kerr home was a great stopping over place for ministers travelling by bicycle or horse and buggy. The mailmen from Welsford and Gagetown met there at noon-time, had their lunch, fed their horses and sometimes had to stay overnight in bad winter storms or borrow a fresh horse to continue their route.

Milton, wife Sarah and family, Robert and Barbara, lived on the farm until the Base takeover and then moved to Fredericton.